Is Your Georgia Condominium In Compliance with the Law? Mandatory Georgia Insurance Requirements

Dec 27, 2017 By Marie Laur Condominium Associations

Condominium regulations in Georgia are outlined in the Georgia Code. Section 44-3-107 specifically addresses insurance coverage requirements for condominiums. Broadly speaking, condominium unit owners are not obligated by statute to maintain insurance, but condominium associations are. Per the Code, condominium associations in Georgia must have casualty insurance policies and liability insurance policies.

The Code explicitly states that associations shall obtain:

1. A property insurance policy or policies affording fire and extended coverage insurance for and in an amount consonant with the full insurable replacement cost, less deductibles, of all buildings and structures within the condominium. Regardless of the boundaries of the condominium units, the insurance required by this paragraph shall include, without limitation, all portions of each building which are common elements including limited common elements, all foundations, roofs, roof structures, and exterior walls, including windows and doors and the framing therefor, and all convertible space within the building.

The condominium insurance policy must also provide coverage for the following items in each condominium unit, regardless of who is responsible for maintaining the unit under the condominium instruments:

  1. The HVAC system serving the condominium unit;
  2. All sheetrock and plaster board comprising the walls and ceilings of the condominium unit; and
  3. The following items within the condominium unit of the type and quality initially installed, or replacements thereof of like kind and quality in accordance with the original plans and specifications, or as they existed at the time the condominium unit was initially conveyed if the original plans and specifications are not available: floors and subfloors; wall, ceiling, and floor coverings; plumbing and electrical lines and fixtures; built-in cabinetry and fixtures; and appliances used for refrigeration, cooking, dishwashing, and laundry.

The unit owner is expected to insure the items listed in number 3 in an unfinished unit that has been turned over by the association. The insurance only covers the portions of the unit that were constructed by or on behalf of the association. The coverage detailed in number 3 also insures condominium units not yet purchased from the condominium association at the time of loss. The association is not required to provide coverage for improvements made by condominium unit owners or structures covered by builder’s risk insurance.

Condominium associations are also required to obtain commercial general liability insurance policies for bodily injury and property damage in an amount not less than $1 million for a single occurrence and $2 million aggregate.

Subrogation waivers are not addressed in the Georgia Code.

Although condominium unit owners are not required to obtain insurance unless they own an unfinished unit, those who own finished condominium units should still consider purchasing property insurance policies to cover their personal belongings, improvements made to their units, or themselves personally.

Are you looking for help?

Let us help you. Call now: (877) 449-4700 | Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 5PM

Why choose Merlin Law Group?

Founded in 1985, our law firm continues to be dedicated to representing insurance policyholders throughout the United States. Collectively, our lawyers are licensed to practice in 25 states. In fact, many of Merlin Law Group’s attorneys worked for the insurance industry before joining the firm, so they bring a strong understanding of insurance company practices. Anyone can file a claim, but it takes experience, knowledge, and savvy to achieve a truly successful outcome. As The Policyholder’s Advocate®, Merlin Law Group aims to drive positive change within the insurance sector by obtaining justice for our clients and educating policyholders on how to navigate insurer bad faith tactics.

When we handle property insurance claim disputes, we hire the most experienced and qualified expert witnesses to evaluate your insurance claim and testify on your behalf. In most cases, we can advance the fees for this. Typically, we hire experts such as engineers, contractors, independent roofing consultants and other professionals to perform a thorough assessment on all possible causes of damages. This is a process that provides us with a very detailed and all-inclusive estimate for determining and justifying a proper settlement. Our use of these professional expert witnesses sets us apart from other insurance law firms.

Submit a free case review