Is Your Arkansas Condominium in Compliance with The Law? Mandatory Arkansas Insurance Requirements

Apr 18, 2018 By Marie Laur Condominium Associations

Continuing my state-by-state review of mandatory condominium insurance requirements, this post will look at Arkansas—The Natural State.

The Horizontal Property Act under the Arkansas Code discusses insurance as it relates to real property. Section 18-13-117 states:

The co-owners may, upon resolution of a majority, insure the building against risk, without prejudice to the right of each co-owner to insure his or her apartment on his or her own account and for his or her own benefit.

Interestingly, unlike many other states, Arkansas does not explicitly require that condominium associations maintain property or liability insurance for the building. Instead, the Code states that an association may obtain coverage.

The Code does, however, specifically state that any insurance obtained must not interfere with the rights of unit owners to obtain their own insurance.

Those looking to purchase a condominium unit in Arkansas should be sure to inquire whether the association has obtained a master insurance policy and what is covered under the policy. The unit owner or potential unit owner should then use that information to determine whether or not to obtain his or her own insurance to protect the property in the event of a loss.

Are you looking for help?

Let us help you. Call now: (877) 449-4700 | Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 5PM

Why choose Merlin Law Group?

Founded in 1985, our law firm continues to be dedicated to representing insurance policyholders throughout the United States. Collectively, our lawyers are licensed to practice in 25 states. In fact, many of Merlin Law Group’s attorneys worked for the insurance industry before joining the firm, so they bring a strong understanding of insurance company practices. Anyone can file a claim, but it takes experience, knowledge, and savvy to achieve a truly successful outcome. As The Policyholder’s Advocate®, Merlin Law Group aims to drive positive change within the insurance sector by obtaining justice for our clients and educating policyholders on how to navigate insurer bad faith tactics.

When we handle property insurance claim disputes, we hire the most experienced and qualified expert witnesses to evaluate your insurance claim and testify on your behalf. In most cases, we can advance the fees for this. Typically, we hire experts such as engineers, contractors, independent roofing consultants and other professionals to perform a thorough assessment on all possible causes of damages. This is a process that provides us with a very detailed and all-inclusive estimate for determining and justifying a proper settlement. Our use of these professional expert witnesses sets us apart from other insurance law firms.

Submit a free case review