Earthquake Insurance Claims 


The standard homeowner’s insurance policy does not include coverage in the case of an earthquake. There is no way to accurately predict when and where an earthquake might occur, so it is important as a property owner/renter to be proactive with an action plan and earthquake insurance coverage. The separate endorsement of earthquake insurance can either be supplemented onto your homeowner/renter insurance policy or purchased in the form of a stand-alone policy.

The U.S. Geological Survey reveals that 75 million Americans in 39 states are at significant risk from earthquakes. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, from the years 2002 to 2012, there were earthquakes of 4.0 magnitudes or greater documented in 23 U.S. states.

In a state of emergency, there can be a number of uncertainties and questions. Your safety and your family’s safety are of the utmost priority, and authorities may mandate an evacuation for your area. If you have an earthquake insurance policy, you should be covered for out-of-home expenses, including food and lodging for two weeks following the event of an evacuation. Keeping proper documentation of these expenses is imperative. These benefits are generally not available if you do not have earthquake insurance coverage.

If you do not have earthquake coverage, it is still highly advised that you report the claim to your insurance provider. It is possible some peril can be accounted for by other such as flood or fire. Inspection on behalf of an adjuster will reveal the cause of damage.

Your earthquake insurance policy may cover damages such as settlements, landslides, mudflows, contraction of the earth, etc. but again, it is pertinent that as a property owner/renter, you are completely aware of what your insurance policy exactly entails.

Submit a Free Case Review