During law school Dan Veroff chose to devote his career to helping policyholders when his own insurer refused to cover an expensive pipe break claim in his home. His battle for coverage—and to protect himself from financial peril—taught him everything he needed to know about how insurance companies mistreat their customers. After graduating law school he immediately began working for a prominent policyholder firm and has not looked back since. In 2018, he brought his experience to Merlin Law Group’s California practice.
Dan’s track record speaks for itself. For example:
- Dan sued Liberty Mutual after it refused to pay disability benefits to a college administrator who survived stomach cancer but was left physically and mentally impaired from chemotherapy treatments.
- He sued Farmers after it attempted to fix sewage water damage to a military family’s home on the cheap by pointing high-powered fans directly at the contaminated material for days on end, leading to medical problems for the insured.
- He sued a company after its human resources director negligently uninsured one of its executive directors while she was undergoing her seventh surgery for cancer treatment, and then attempted to fraudulently cover up its errors by fabricating documents.
- He filed a class-action lawsuit against the Hartford after discovering that the entire company was misapplying California depreciation laws, costing homeowners throughout the state millions of dollars.
- He sued Travelers after it refused to cover arson fire damage to an apartment building by inserting a provision into the policy conditioning all coverage on the existence of fire sprinklers, despite knowing full and well that the property did not have fire sprinklers.
- He sued General Star Insurance Company after it illegally canceled a restaurant and hotel’s insurance policy days before a fire destroyed the property.
Dan is on the board of directors for United Policyholders, and has drafted “friend of the court” briefs in favor of the California Department of Insurance after insurance companies frivolously tried to strike down consumer friendly laws.
Superlawyers has designated Dan as a “Super Lawyer – Rising Star” in insurance, an honor awarded to no more than 2.5% of lawyers under 40 in Northern California.
While Dan works Life, Health and Disability cases, he maintains a strong property insurance practice which covers both commercial and residential property claims.
To learn more about insurance claim disputes from Dan, read his valuable contributions to the Merlin Law Group Blog here.
University of California, Hastings College of the Law
San Francisco, CA
University of San Francisco
San Francisco, CA